Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?
Date: 1998-05-23 20:51:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> On Sat, 23 May 1998, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Do you want to adopt the Mozilla method where there is a tarball
>> available with the CVS control files already in place? I'd recommend
>> it; my initial checkout over a 28.8K modem took well over two hours.

> Can you try it with a -z and time it?

Well, the Mozilla boys are quite right: -z3 is a nice win over a modem
line. A full checkout with -z3 took 38 minutes, vs about 130 without.

Let's see, the tarfile equivalent of the checked-out tree comes to
3947839 bytes, which would take about 25-30 minutes to download across
this line. So there's not much savings to be had from downloading a
tarfile instead of doing a checkout.

It might still be worth providing CVS control files in the snapshot
tarballs, just so that someone who downloads a snap and later decides
to start using CVS doesn't have to start from scratch. The overhead of
doing so seems to be only about a 1% increase in the tar.gz filesize.
But it may not be worth your trouble to mess with the snapshot
generation script...