Re: Some advice required please

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nigel Bishop" <Nigel(dot)Bishop(at)ioko(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some advice required please
Date: 2006-08-30 13:48:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Nigel Bishop" <Nigel(dot)Bishop(at)ioko(dot)com> writes:
> Selecting from pg_database shows the following:

> datname | datvacuumxid | datfrozenxid
> ----------------+--------------+--------------
> template1 | 2160549932 | 1086808109
> template0 | 427 | 427
> live01.db | 427 | 427
> stage01.db | 2153231186 | 1079489364

The numbers for template1 and stage01.db look reasonable (but perhaps
you just recently vacuumed them?). What the message is probably
complaining about is that live01.db has seemingly never been vacuumed.
You can ignore template0, it's not supposed to be touched, but the
others all need vacuuming every so often.

> Could someone advise me on how to reset the datvacuumxid on the
> template1 DB (I don't think it should be this high), also is the message
> about data loss really implying that we may have lost data?

Yes, otherwise we'd not bother to emit it.