Re: Assertion failure with LEFT JOINs among >500 relations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Onder Kalaci <onderk(at)microsoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Assertion failure with LEFT JOINs among >500 relations
Date: 2020-10-09 02:06:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Are you worried about the costs above the join that triggers that
> coming out as NaN with that fix? It appears that's the case.

[ pokes at that... ] Yeah, it looks like nestloop cost estimation
also has some issues with inf-times-zero producing NaN; it's just
not asserting about it.

I notice there are some other ad-hoc isnan() checks scattered
about costsize.c, too. Maybe we should indeed consider fixing
clamp_row_estimate to get rid of inf (and nan too, I suppose)
so that we'd not need those. I don't recall the exact cases
that made us introduce those checks, but they were for cases
a lot more easily reachable than this one, I believe.