Re: CREATE TABLE .. LIKE .. EXCLUDING documentation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE TABLE .. LIKE .. EXCLUDING documentation
Date: 2018-06-29 16:44:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
>> On 29 Jun 2018, at 15:42, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> While we're here, do people find this useful:
>>
>> <para>
>> <literal>INCLUDING ALL</literal> is an abbreviated form of
>> <literal>INCLUDING COMMENTS INCLUDING CONSTRAINTS INCLUDING
>> DEFAULTS INCLUDING IDENTITY INCLUDING INDEXES INCLUDING STATISTICS
>> INCLUDING STORAGE</literal>.
>> </para>
>>
>> Maybe something more like "... is an abbreviated form selecting all the
>> available individual options".

> While quite a mouthful, I do find the former quite clear. Your suggestion
> clearly reads better, but I would personally scroll back up to the Synopsis to
> see the list if it wasn't easily available in the paragraph (but that's all
> personal preference).

+1 for shortening it as proposed by Peter. The existing arrangement
made sense when it was first written, when there were only about three
individual options IIRC. Now it's just confusing, especially since you
can't tell very easily whether any of the individual options were
intentionally omitted from the list. It will not get better with
more options, either.