Re: ALTER TABLE modifications

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE modifications
Date: 2003-11-14 16:38:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 09:57, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I can do this by hand. If we have an explicit command to do it, then it
>> needs to preserve the table schema. Else, this feature would be mostly
>> useless and a certain source of complaints.

> The method was agreed to on -hackers prior to any code having been
> written.

I believe the consensus was that automating what you could do by hand
is still a step forward.

It clearly would be better if we could relabel the logical column
position after finishing the whole process, but I agree with Rod that
that is an independent patch. Combining them into one mega-patch
doesn't sound like good engineering.

I guess the real question here is whether we would want to revert this
capability if a patch to adjust logical column orderings doesn't appear
before 7.5. My vote would be "no", but apparently Peter's is "yes".
Any other opinions?