stack depth limit exceeded

From: salah jubeh <s_jubeh(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: stack depth limit exceeded
Date: 2011-03-31 16:19:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I have written this function which is simply returns the entities which depends
on a certain entity. It works fine if the dependency tree is not long. However,
If I have an entity which are linked to many other entities I get

stack depth limit exceeded
HINT: Increase the configuration parameter "max_stack_depth", after ensuring
the platform's stack depth limit is adequate.

I wrote this function to know exactly what are the tables, views that will be
doped if I use cascade option. I want to get around this issue without changing
the server configuration

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dependon(var text)
RETURNS SETOF text AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
node record;
child_node record;
BEGIN

FOR node IN -- For inheritance
SELECT objid::regclass::text as relname
FROM pg_catalog.pg_depend
WHERE refobjid = $1::regclass::oid AND deptype ='n' AND classid
='pg_class'::regclass
UNION
-- For rewrite rules
SELECT ev_class::regclass::text as relname
FROM pg_rewrite WHERE oid IN ( SELECT objid FROM pg_catalog.pg_depend
WHERE refobjid = $1::regclass::oid AND deptype ='n')
UNION
-- For constraints (Forign keys)
SELECT conrelid::regclass::text as relname
FROM pg_constraint WHERE oid in (SELECT objid FROM pg_catalog.pg_depend
WHERE refobjid = $1::regclass::oid AND deptype ='n')

LOOP

RETURN NEXT node.relname;
FOR child_node IN SELECT * FROM dependon(node.relname)
LOOP
RETURN NEXT child_node.dependon;
END LOOP;

END LOOP;