Re: unsupportable composite type partition keys

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unsupportable composite type partition keys
Date: 2019-12-23 15:00:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

BTW, I forgot to mention: while I think the patch to forbid pseudotypes
by using CheckAttributeType() can be back-patched, I'm leaning towards
not back-patching the other patch. The situation where we get into
infinite recursion seems not very likely in practice, and it's not
going to cause any crash or data loss, so I think we can just say
"sorry that's not supported before v13". The patch as I'm proposing
it seems rather invasive for a back-branch fix. Also, changing
RelationGetPartitionKey/Desc from macros to functions is at least a
weak ABI break. If there are extensions calling either, they might
still work without a recompile --- but if they have code paths that
are the first thing to touch either field since a relcache flush,
they'd crash.