Re: [SQL] prob with aggregate and group by - returns multiples

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: George Dau <gedau(at)isa(dot)mim(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "'pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] prob with aggregate and group by - returns multiples
Date: 2000-02-28 22:53:09
Lists: pgsql-sql

George Dau <gedau(at)isa(dot)mim(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I have postgresql version 6.2 running on RedHat Linux kernel 2.2.5

6.2 ???

Sorry, fella, but that's roughly Late Neolithic Era in Postgres time.
I have no doubt that what you are running into is a long-dead bug.
You won't find much enthusiasm among the developers for remembering
exactly what it was. I suggest an upgrade.

> Upgrading to 6.5 will be either expensive (download) or very slow (buy
> CD from Canada). I hope there is another solution.

According to our mirror-sites list, you can find Postgres down under
at ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/postgresql or
http://postgresql.mirror.aarnet.edu.au. I'm not having any luck
contacting that site from here right now, but perhaps it will work
for you. If not, there are other mirrors that are at least on your
side of the globe; see http://www.postgresql.org/sites.html.

> The TEMP table references are in HTML doco in query.html where it describes
> "select into".

Ah, I see at least one such still there in the current version. Will
get fixed. Thanks for the pointer.