Large objetcs performance

From: "Alexandre Vasconcelos" <alex(dot)vasconcelos(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Large objetcs performance
Date: 2007-04-04 14:03:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello All,

I've been searching the archives for something similar, without success..

We have an application subjected do sign documents and store them
somewhere. The files size may vary from Kb to Mb. Delelopers are
arguing about the reasons to store files direcly on operating system
file system or on the database, as large objects. My boss is
considering file system storing, because he is concerned about
integrity, backup/restore corruptions. I'd like to know some reasons
to convince them to store these files on PosgtreSQL, including
integrity, and of course, performance. I would like to know the file
system storing disadvantages as well.

Thanks in advace.
Alex