Re: pg_hba_lookup function to get all matching pg_hba.conf entries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>
Cc: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_hba_lookup function to get all matching pg_hba.conf entries
Date: 2015-12-23 15:37:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de> writes:
> 1. Have you considered re-loading the HBA file upon call to this function
> in a local context instead of keeping it in the backends memory?

Aside from the security questions, please consider that this feature should
work similarly to the current implementation of the pg_file_settings view,
namely it tells you about what is *currently* in the on-disk files, not
necessarily what is the active setting in the postmaster's memory.
A backend could not be entirely sure about the postmaster's state anyway;
and even if it could be, one of the major applications for features like
this is testing manual changes to the files before you SIGHUP the
postmaster. So re-reading the files on each usage is a Good Thing, IMO,
even if it sounds inefficient.

> 2. I also wonder why JSONB arrays for database/user instead of TEXT[]?

Yes, that seems rather random to me too.