Re: Switching to Homebrew as recommended Mac install?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jay Levitt <jay(dot)levitt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Switching to Homebrew as recommended Mac install?
Date: 2012-04-01 20:38:58
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Jay Levitt <jay(dot)levitt(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> So with all respect and thanks to EDB for maintaining those installers, I'd
> like to propose that homebrew become the recommended install method on Mac,
> and I will update the Mac formula to overcome any current objections.

This proposal doesn't seem to me to have any chance at all of getting
accepted. While you might not like the EDB installer, at least those
folks are active in the lists and accountable for whatever problems
their code has. Who in heck is responsible for the "homebrew"
packaging, and do they answer questions in the PG lists?

ISTM a more useful response to the problems you've mentioned is to
suggest to the EDB folk that they'd better install somewhere else
than where the built-in Lion installation is.