Re: BUG #5010: perl iconv function returns ? character

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Lampa <lampacz(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: BUG #5010: perl iconv function returns ? character
Date: 2009-09-06 18:27:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Devrim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=DCND=DCZ?= <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org> writes:
> On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 12:52 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I would have said that the RPMs are
>> not built in any way significantly different from a straight
>> configure-and-build-from-source, but it appears that something in
>> the RPM build options makes this work. Investigating ...

> Could it be because of perl-Text-Iconv package?

Well, you have to install that before you can test the problem at all,
but the working and non-working cases are using the same Text::IConv
code. I think I just figured it out though. I had dismissed locale as
not being the critical difference, but that was foolish (and I paid for
it with an hour of wasted effort). My RPM installation is working
because it defaults to en_US locale, and my source installation is not
working because it uses C locale. If I switch to either en_US or cz_CZ
locale then Text::IConv gives the expected result.

I now believe that the OP's actual problem is related to this:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2009-07/msg00098.php
He's probably ending up in C locale internally. If so it'll be fixed
in 8.4.1.

The only observation not accounted for is Robert's statement that he
couldn't reproduce it in 8.4.0 --- but I think the behavior with the bug
is dependent on the postmaster's starting environment, so it would be
easy to fail to duplicate someone else's result.