Re: keeping a log / debug info

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6(at)bcbsm(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: keeping a log / debug info
Date: 2002-09-19 16:05:39
Lists: pgsql-general

"Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6(at)bcbsm(dot)com> writes:
> I am running postgres with a '-d' option (debug)
> and storing that info in a log file. This morning
> I moved the log file (trying to gzip it) and touched
> a new version of that file ... (didn't mean to do that).
> Now no data is being recorded ...

If you are just directing stderr into a file then you can't rotate
log files that way. You could use syslog instead, or you could
pipe stderr to a log-rotation script. I prefer the latter, mainly
because there are some messages that can't be redirected to syslog
(eg, dynamic linker failure messages). See
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/logfile-maintenance.html
and past discussions in the mailing list archives.