Re: Tuning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, "John Parnefjord" <John(dot)Parnefjord(at)kib(dot)ki(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Tuning
Date: 2007-01-28 23:38:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

>> -checkpoint_segments - this is crucial as one of the server is
>> transaction heavy

> Well, it only helps you to raise this if you have a dedicated disk resource
> for the xlog. Otherwise having more segments doesn't help you much.

Au contraire, large checkpoint_segments is important for write-intensive
workloads no matter what your disk layout is. If it's too small then
you'll checkpoint too often, and the resulting increase in page-image
writes will hurt. A lot.

My advice is to set checkpoint_warning to the same value as
checkpoint_timeout (typically 5 minutes or so) and then keep an eye on
the postmaster log for awhile. If you see more than a few "checkpoints
are occuring too frequently" messages, you want to raise
checkpoint_segments.