Re: missing indexes in indexlist with partitioned tables

From: Arne Roland <A(dot)Roland(at)index(dot)de>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: missing indexes in indexlist with partitioned tables
Date: 2022-01-17 20:32:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

Afaiac the join pruning where the outer table is a partitioned table is the relevant case.

I am not sure whether there are other cases.
The join pruning, which works great for plain relations since 9.0, falls short for partitioned tables, since the optimizer fails to prove uniqueness there.

In practical cases inner and outer tables are almost surely different ones, but I reattached a simpler example. It's the one, I came up with back in September.

I've seen this can be a reason to avoid partitioning for the time being, if the application relies on join pruning. I think generic views make it almost necessary to have it. If you had a different answer in mind, please don't hesitate to ask again.

Regards
Arne