Re: Why would this crash my server

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: glenn <vmstech(at)tpg(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why would this crash my server
Date: 2003-02-24 03:23:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

glenn <vmstech(at)tpg(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Thanks again Tom - seems upgrading to 7.3 is the answer to most of my
> probs - but I'm not sure if I want to open that can of worms - quick
> clarification - do you think the problem occured at the moment of "fetch
> into " or when it tried to return the results?

I guess I should have quoted my full test result:

regression=# select zz_dump();
NOTICE: Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function zz_dump
NOTICE: line 6 at fetch
ERROR: Memory exhausted in AllocSetContextCreate(8192)

The NOTICE makes it look like it was the FETCH that broke. That kinda
surprises me though, as it implies that the problem is not really
related to the attempt to return a set. Could it be that fetching into
a rowtype variable is broken in 7.2? I wouldn't have thought so...