Re: Update timestamp on update

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: postgresql sql list <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeff Williams <jeffw(at)globaldial(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Update timestamp on update
Date: 2005-10-13 03:07:47
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-sql

On Oct 13, 2005, at 11:52 , Tom Lane wrote:

> Jeff Williams <jeffw(at)globaldial(dot)com> writes:
>
>> Thanks. Triggers was my first thought, but chapter 35 on Triggers
>> didn't
>> really indicate a way I could do this easily and scared me with a
>> lot of
>> c code.
>>

> Yeah. This is a documentation issue that's bothered me for awhile.
> The problem is that we treat the PL languages as add-ons and therefore
> the documentation of the "core" system shouldn't rely on them ... but
> that leaves us presenting C-code triggers as the only examples in
> chapter 35. There is a paragraph in there suggesting you go look at
> the PL languages first, but obviously it's not getting the job done.

I think examples in PL/pgSQL would perhaps be most appropriate, as
it's a PostgreSQL-specific language, arguably easy to read, and a PL
that doesn't rely on any external dependencies, so it should be
relatively easy for people to install it if they want. (IIRC, there's
even been discussion in the past of whether or not PL/pgSQL should be
installed by default.)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com