Re: Show encoding in initdb messages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Show encoding in initdb messages
Date: 2004-06-21 15:12:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
>>> The reason it will help with support is because newbies will go
>>> "SQL_ASCII! I don't want ascii!".
>>
>> No they won't. They will likely not even notice this message
>> in the sea of other messages they've never seen before; and
>> even if they do notice it, they will certainly not realize
>> that they don't want it.

> Another way would be to make -E a mandatory parameter, and remove the
> default completely. That way you have to make a conscious decision.
> Can't claim surprise then.

I don't think surprise is the problem; I think the problem is knowing
what setting will produce the result you want. Newbies are
fundamentally unlikely to have this knowledge :-(

What I personally wish we could do is eliminate database encoding as
a separate setting altogether, and drive it off the locale selection.
I don't know how to do that though.