Re: pgsql: Pull up isReset flag from AllocSetContext to MemoryContext struc

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Pull up isReset flag from AllocSetContext to MemoryContext struc
Date: 2011-05-22 18:18:06
Lists: pgsql-committers

Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)iki(dot)fi> writes:
> Pull up isReset flag from AllocSetContext to MemoryContext struct. This
> avoids the overhead of one function call when calling MemoryContextReset(),
> and it seems like the isReset optimization would be applicable to any new
> memory context we might invent in the future anyway.

> This buys back the overhead I just added in previous patch to always call
> MemoryContextReset() in ExecScan, even when there's no quals or projections.

Do you actually have any measurements that prove that? This seems like
a rather ugly destruction of a modularity boundary in return for a
hypothetical performance gain. I'm also concerned that you've probably
added cycles on net to MemoryContextAlloc (where it's no longer possible
to tail-call AllocSetAlloc), which could very easily cost more cycles on
most workloads than could ever be saved by making MemoryContextReset a
shade faster.