Re: Comment on timezone and interval types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Comment on timezone and interval types
Date: 2004-11-05 15:39:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net> writes:
> | If you want 24 hours you can use 24 hours. Days are not constant length,
> | just like months aren't constant length.

> Days *are* of constant length - check your nearest dictionary, which
> will define it as 24 hours or the period of rotation of the earth.

This is about as relevant to our problems as claiming that we should
ignore leap years because years are really of constant length.

We are trying to emulate the common civil calendar here, and in places
that observe DST, days are *not* of constant length. If you don't like
this, why are you using the timestamp-with-time-zone datatype (or at
least, why are you using it with a DST-aware zone setting)?

timestamp-without-time-zone will continue to behave as it always has,
so that seems to me to offer a sufficient out for people who really
truly do not want DST-aware calculations.