Re: Optimizer not using index when it should

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Rob Messer <rrmesser(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimizer not using index when it should
Date: 2003-04-29 14:18:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
>> What can I do to fix this -- is there something I am missing about
>> setting statistics or some configuration variable I can change? Any
>> insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

> You might try adjusting the random_page_cost down to something more
> appropriate for your hardware and situation.

Also, is the table physically ordered by dsid? If so, is that condition
likely to persist? You may be looking at a test-condition artifact
here --- a poor estimate for an ordered table may not mean much when
you get to realistic database states.

I assume you've done an ANALYZE of course --- what does the pg_stats row
for column dsid contain?