Re: asynchronous psql command options?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Smith <christopherl_smith(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: asynchronous psql command options?
Date: 2003-01-16 18:56:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Christopher Smith <christopherl_smith(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> i used psql via ssh on dial-up and closed the ssh client. I logged in
> again and it showed that the postmater process was still running.. I
> thought that the index building process would continue 'til
> completion.

> however, this morning no indexes were built. Is it possible to send
> commands via psql asynchronous. Does anyone know why the index
> building process stopped?

It worked for me in a quick test here: issue CREATE INDEX command,
"kill -9" the psql client from another window, wait for indexing to
finish.

I wonder whether you had started a transaction block, viz
begin;
create index ...;
<<kill client>>
Without a commit to match the begin, the index would be discarded.

Another likely prospect is that the CREATE INDEX command actually failed
(ran out of disk space, for example). Did you look in the postmaster
log to see if any error message was recorded?