Re: REINDEX INDEX results in a crash for an index of pg_class since 9.6

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: REINDEX INDEX results in a crash for an index of pg_class since 9.6
Date: 2019-05-02 15:08:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2019-05-01 00:43:34 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> ... What it's really currently doing at the
>> moment of the deadlock is cleaning out its temporary schema after the
>> client disconnected.

> I'm inclined to remove the tests from the backbranches, once we've
> committed a fix for the actual REINDEX issue, and most of the farm has
> been through a cycle or three. I don't think we'll figure out how to
> make them robust in time for next week's release.

Yeah, as I just said in my other message, I see no other alternative for
next week's releases. We can leave the test in place in HEAD a bit
longer, but I don't really want it there for the beta either, unless we
can think of some better plan.

> I don't think we can really rely on the post-disconnect phase completing
> in a particularly deterministic time.

Exactly :-(

>> Another fairly interesting thing is that this log includes the telltale
>> 2019-05-01 05:24:48.887 CEST [97694:7] pg_regress/reindex_catalog CONTEXT: while checking uniqueness of tuple (12,71) in relation "pg_class"
>> Why did I have to dig to find that information in HEAD? Have we lost
>> some useful context reporting? (Note this run is in the v10 branch.)

FWIW, as best I can reconstruct the sequence of events, I might just
not've looked. I got an error and just assumed it was the same as what
we'd seen in the buildfarm; but now we realize that there were multiple
ways to get deadlocks, and only some of them would have shown this.
For the moment I'm willing to assume this isn't a real issue.