Re: Patch queue concern

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch queue concern
Date: 2007-03-29 18:14:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The basic problem is we have a lot of complex patches coming in, and
> many from people who do not have years of experience with submitting
> patches to PostgreSQL. A complex patch from a novice user takes a lot
> of time to review, and frankly, we don't have enough experienced
> developers doing such reviews.

Part of the issue is that we have a lot of new developers who are trying
to solve hard problems without having learned their way around the code
by fixing easy stuff. It was easier some years ago for people to learn
that way, because there was way more low-hanging fruit back then. But
there's still some out there. I have a distinct sense that we are
getting patches from people who are trying to run before they've learned
to walk.