Re: process exited with status 11 after XLogFlush: request is not satisfied

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bjoern Metzdorf" <bm(at)turtle-entertainment(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: process exited with status 11 after XLogFlush: request is not satisfied
Date: 2002-01-30 21:20:21
Lists: pgsql-general

"Bjoern Metzdorf" <bm(at)turtle-entertainment(dot)de> writes:
> It all looked good, but no, the problem persists.

> 5 minutes ago I did a

> "select ctid,* from table order by id limit 82000"

> and it worked flawlessly.

> Then I did a

> "select ctid,* from table order by id limit 200000"

> and it crashed again.

> I again tried

> "select ctid,* from table order by id limit 82000"

> and it crashed here also.

> What do you suspect here? Hardware failure?

Given the above facts, that's what I suspect. You may have something
like a disk controller that sometimes passes bad data. Or a bad RAM
chip that sometimes drops bits. If it weren't a flaky-hardware kind
of thing I'd expect the results to be reproducible.

> I ran a badblocks read-only test
> and it was fine. I tested memory with memtester and it was fine...

Can anyone suggest other diagnostic tools to try? I don't think either
of the above tests would be likely to notice a disk controller that
sometimes returns wrong data, for example.