Re: Continue work on changes to recovery.conf API

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Continue work on changes to recovery.conf API
Date: 2018-11-27 14:36:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27/11/2018 13:21, David Steele wrote:
> I would prefer a specific file that will be auto-included into
> postgresql.conf when present but be ignored when not present. Some
> settings are generally ephemeral (recovery_target_time) and it would be
> nice for them to go away. When recovery is complete the file would be
> renamed to .done just as recovery.conf is now.

That might be a useful facility, but it wouldn't really address the
pg_basebackup -R issue, because that creates settings that you don't
want going away in this manner. You'd then need two separate such
files, one for targeted recovery that goes away when recovery ends, and
one that is automatically included that pg_basebackup can overwrite at will.