Re: Removing binaries (was: createlang/droplang deprecated)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing binaries (was: createlang/droplang deprecated)
Date: 2017-03-19 17:17:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> * Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> I think a more reasonable way to proceed is to install symlinks
>>> pg_createuser -> createuser (or the other direction), mark the older names
>>> as deprecated, and announce that we'll remove the old names a few releases
>>> from now. That gives people time to adjust.

>> I'd suggest doing it in the other direction, but yeah, that seems like a
>> softer way to handle it. As long as we clearly document them as such.
>> Perhaps we should even have them output a little "hey you should be using
>> pg_xyz" if they are used by the wrong name, but I wonder if that might
>> break things.

> I don't really agree with these half-measures.

It's not a "half measure", it's providing a sane upgrade path.

If we had not had the deprecation notice in place for createlang, I do
not think Magnus' proposal to remove it would have been accepted so
easily --- or, probably, at all. There is no such notice in place
for createdb or createuser, so arguing by analogy to that proposal
falls flat.