Re: [HACKERS] Well, then you keep your darn columns

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Well, then you keep your darn columns
Date: 2000-01-24 18:45:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Let's see: DROP COLUMN would have to mark the column invisible, remove
> any associated constraints (particularly NOT NULL) and indexes, and
> it'd be done. The parser would then have to ignore the column when
> doing column name lookups or expansion of '*', and it would have to
> insert a NULL value for the column when transforming INSERT or UPDATE.
> And that'd be just about it. I like it.

On further reflection I can think of a few other places that would have
to be taught to skip over "invisible" columns: COPY and pg_dump would,
and probably there are some others. But it still seems like this is
a simple and robust scheme with considerable advantages, and many
fewer "I'm not sure how to do that" gaps in it.