Re: temp schemas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: temp schemas
Date: 2008-08-28 18:23:10
Lists: pgsql-general

"Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com> writes:
> I am noticing a large number of temp schemas in my database. We use
> temp tables but it doesn't appear that the schemas get dropped for some
> reason.

That's intentional. There doesn't seem a lot of value in dropping a
catalog entry that'll just have to be created again later.

> This greatly slows down how long it takes pgAdmin to connect
> because it retrieves thousands of pg_temp_% schemas.

Why have you got thousands of them? If you are running with thousands
of active backends, may I suggest a connection pooler?

(It might be a good idea to fix pgAdmin so it ignores other sessions'
temp schemas, though.)