Re: Query cancelled errors

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query cancelled errors
Date: 2003-09-16 19:09:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com> writes:
>>> ERROR: Query was cancelled.

> postmaster is running in the background; started via:
> pg_ctl start -D PG_DATA -s -l PG_LOG -o '-i'

Hm. I notice that pg_ctl does not use "nohup" to start the postmaster,
which seems like a really bad idea now that I think about it. Do things
get better if you make the relevant section of pg_ctl look like

if [ -n "$logfile" ]; then
nohup "$po_path" ${1+"$@"} </dev/null >>$logfile 2>&1 &
else
# when starting without log file, redirect stderr to stdout, so
# pg_ctl can be invoked with >$logfile and still have pg_ctl's
# stderr on the terminal.
nohup "$po_path" ${1+"$@"} </dev/null 2>&1 &
fi

?