Re: Auto-updated fields

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auto-updated fields
Date: 2008-05-08 04:41:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de> writes:
> I may be wrong but my feeling is, not to much weirdness in the core
> please :)

+1 ... we have wasted more than enough man-hours trying to get the magic
"serial" type to play nicely. If I had it to do over, we'd never have
put that in at all. The underlying mechanisms are perfectly good ---
it's the idea that the user shouldn't need to know what they're doing
that causes problems.