Re: pg_dump and sequences - RFC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump and sequences - RFC
Date: 2000-09-28 15:17:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> At 11:01 28/09/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> A data-only reload
>> would fail to make that guarantee unless you drop and recreate
>> the sequence.

> Will this cause problems in an existing database because the sequence OID
> changes?

Hmm, good point. There isn't any real easy way to refer to a sequence
by OID --- the sequence functions only accept names --- but I suppose
someone out there might be doing something with sequence OIDs.

Perhaps the real answer is to extend the set of sequence functions so
that it's possible to set/clear is_called directly. Perhaps a variant
setval() with an additional, boolean argument?