Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Hartmut Goebel <h(dot)goebel(at)goebel-consult(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date: 2010-06-07 01:50:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I think as a community we can sometimes be a bit intolerant of people
> who don't do things exactly the right way and get themselves into
> trouble.

Casting aside the sweeping generalizations for a moment ... this is
about how much effort we are willing to put into making upgrades
bulletproof even for those who don't follow directions. The proposed
change requires a major amount of work (if you don't think so, I will
merely suggest thinking about pg_get_expr and kin), and it doesn't fix
anything that's very interesting except to a small subset of users who
are willing to quote identifiers forever rather than rename to avoid new
reserved words. The handwriting has been on the wall for WINDOW since
SQL:2003, no?