Re: SETOF / SETS_FIXED?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua b(dot) Jore" <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SETOF / SETS_FIXED?
Date: 2002-02-05 17:34:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Joshua b. Jore" <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org> writes:
> While I was poking throug the source to figure this out I ran
> across the SETS_FIXED declaration. It looks like that's been set on my
> OpenBSD installation but isn't in the stock 7.1.3.

I would certainly hope that SETS_FIXED is NOT set in *any* distribution.
That covers some code we disabled years ago because it was broken;
I see little prospect that it will ever be resurrected.

The behavior you want is not a "set" in Berkeley's terminology,
anyway. That had to do with fields (attributes) whose values were
actually references to functions to call to produce the implied
set-of-rows value.

AFAIR, the existing support for functions-returning-SETOF only works
for SQL-language functions, or suitably coded C functions.