Re: valgrind issues on Fedora 28

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: valgrind issues on Fedora 28
Date: 2018-12-14 21:35:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/14/18 4:58 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> In general, I'm not particularly on board with our valgrind.supp
> carrying suppressions for code outside our own code base: I think
> that's assuming WAY too much about which version of what is installed
> on a particular box.

Fair point.

> Maybe we could do something to make it simpler to have custom
> suppressions? Not sure what, though.

I was thinking that perhaps we could allows specifying path to extra
suppressions and pass that to valgrind.

But we don't actually invoke valgrind, that's something people do on
their own anyway - so we don't have anywhere to pass the path to. And
whoever invokes valgrind can simply stick it directly into the command
they're using (as it allows specifying multiple --suppressions=<file>
options). Or perhaps just put it into ~/.valgrindrc.

So perhaps we should simply revert that commit and be done with it.

One place that will need to solve it is buildfarm client, but it could
pick either of the options I mentioned.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com