Re: Retiring legacyurls

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Retiring legacyurls
Date: 2018-10-11 13:51:09
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi,

On 10/11/18 5:56 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:45 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net
> <mailto:magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>> wrote:
>
> We have a piece of code in legacyurls.py in the website project that
> handles URLs that are from the old website. And by old website I
> don't mean the one from half a year ago, I mean the one from 10
> years ago.
>
> This one handles:
> /about/press/presskit/<ver>.html.<language>

This one gave me momentary panic as we are a week away from the release
and I just assembled the presskit, but then I noticed that this does not
follow the current format at all, hence the whole "legacy" bit, so as
long as it does not break the release work, +1 for dropping.

> /about/license -> /about/licence
>
> Of those I suggest we keep the license redirect (some people
> consider American English not to be legacy after all), but nuke the
> rest.

+1 to keeping this; I've seen people linking to the US spelling of this.

> Thoughts? Any of them worthy of saving? Or does somebody actually
> think it's worth investing the work to track exactly how much that
> old stuff is used?
>

> Nah - drop 'em all.

*Drop them all except the /about/license

Thanks for reviewing all of this!

Jonathan