Re: pgsql: Compute XID horizon for page level index vacuum on primary.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Compute XID horizon for page level index vacuum on primary.
Date: 2019-05-01 16:50:16
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 12:15 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>> My current inclination is to not do anything for v12. Robert, do you
>> disagree?

> Not strongly enough to argue about it very hard. The current behavior
> is a little weird, but it's a long way from being the weirdest thing
> we ship, and it appears that we have no tangible evidence that it
> causes a problem in practice.

I think there's nothing that fails to suck about a hardwired "+ 10".

We should either remove that and use effective_io_concurrency as-is,
or decide that it's worth having a separate GUC for bulk operations.
At this stage of the cycle I'd incline to the former, but if somebody
is excited enough to prepare a patch for a new GUC, I wouldn't push
back on that solution.