Re: Patch application

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch application
Date: 2001-03-19 21:08:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc pgsql-odbc

Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com> writes:
> In projects like gcc and the GNU binutils, we use a MAINTAINERS file.
> Some people have blanket write privileges. Some people have write
> priviliges to certain areas of the code. Anybody else needs a patch
> to be approved before they can check it in. Patches which are
> ``obviously correct'' are always OK.

Would you enlarge on what that fourth sentence means in practice?

Seems like the sticky issue here is what constitutes "approval".
We already have a policy that changes originating from non-committers
are supposed to be reviewed before they get applied, but what Bruce
is worried about is the quality of the review process.