Re: right sibling is not next child

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Peter Brant" <Peter(dot)Brant(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "Randy Peterson" <Randy(dot)Peterson(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: right sibling is not next child
Date: 2006-04-06 17:57:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Right now the postmaster refuses to start. What is the best way to get
> past that to try what you suggest?

> [2006-04-06 07:22:50.378 ] 3984 PANIC: heap_clean_redo: no block

Hm, did this start happening immediately after the other problem?
That would suggest that you've got worse problems than just a corrupt
index. You weren't by any chance running with full_page_writes = off
were you?

You could get past the startup failure with pg_resetxlog, but it's not
clear whether you'd have a consistent database afterward. What I'd
suggest first is saving a copy of the entire $PGDATA tree for forensic
purposes (not to mention being able to go back to that state if you need
to).

Is there any chance of letting someone else have a look at the database
contents? Otherwise you're going to have to do your own sleuthing to
figure out what went wrong ...