Re: reducing number of ANDs speeds up query RESOLVED

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "T(dot) E(dot) Lawrence" <t(dot)e(dot)lawrence(at)icloud(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reducing number of ANDs speeds up query RESOLVED
Date: 2013-01-15 15:36:25
Lists: pgsql-general

"T. E. Lawrence" <t(dot)e(dot)lawrence(at)icloud(dot)com> <CAMkU=1y6UuxPYbf_ky8DVDsJi=g=uQ1t0B6kwLEtdc7NLxB_-Q(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 15.01.2013, at 05:45, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Is the autovacuum 100% reliable in relation to VACUUM ANALYZE?

>> No. For example, if you constantly do things that need an access exclusive lock, then autovac will keep getting interrupted and never finish.

> I see.

> So, apparently, we need to interrupt the heavy imports on some reasonable intervals and do manual VACUUM ANALYZE?

Data import as such, no matter how "heavy", shouldn't be a problem.
The question is what are you doing that takes access-exclusive table
locks frequently, and do you really need to do that?

A quick look at the docs suggests that ALTER TABLE, REINDEX, or CLUSTER
would be the most likely candidates for taking exclusive table locks.