Re: Optional postgres database not so optional in 8.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optional postgres database not so optional in 8.1
Date: 2005-11-17 14:46:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Maybe it should fallback to template1 if the postgres database doesn't
> exist?

[ shrug... ] template1 can be dropped, too. More to the point, if
they fall back to connecting to template1, then we lose the very thing
we wanted to gain, which is that there aren't transient connections to
template1 that might draw CREATE DATABASE's ire.

None of these programs are essential -- you can always do "psql mydb"
and then execute the operations from within mydb -- so I don't see a
pressing need to complicate them to deal with nonstandard environments.