Re: Recursive use of syscaches (was: relation ### modified while in use)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recursive use of syscaches (was: relation ### modified while in use)
Date: 2000-11-10 01:04:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> My concern is the robustness of rel cache.
> It seems pretty dangerous to discard system relation
> descriptors used for cache mechanism especially in
> case of error recovery.
> It also seems pretty dangerous to recontruct relation
> descriptors especially in case of error recovery.

Why? We are able to construct all the non-nailed relcache entries
from scratch during backend startup. That seems a sufficient
proof that we can reconstruct any or all of them on demand.

Until the changes I made today, there was a flaw in that logic,
namely that the specific order that relcache entries are built in
during startup might be somehow magic, ie, building them in another
order might cause a recursive syscache call. But now, that doesn't
matter.