Re: proposal: integration bloat tables (indexes) to core

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: integration bloat tables (indexes) to core
Date: 2016-06-13 17:16:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 3:23 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> There are lot of useful queries (views), that are on our wiki. Some queries
>> are necessary for maintenance, and I am thinking these queries should be
>> integrated part of Postgres.

> It's likely to be hard to get agreement on which things to include.
> But if we can, it might be worth doing. It would be nice to do it as
> an extension.

The problem with an extension is: when we make a core change that breaks
one of these views, which we will, how can you pg_upgrade a database
with the extension installed? There's no provision for upgrading an
extension concurrently with the core upgrade. Maybe there should be,
but I'm unclear how we could make that work.

At the same time, I'm pretty suspicious of putting stuff like this in
core, because the expectations for cross-version compatibility go up
by orders of magnitude as soon as we do that.