Re: pgsql: Update copyright for 2017

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Update copyright for 2017
Date: 2017-01-04 19:20:52
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
>>> Actually, my takeaway from this was "don't ever use git reset on
>>> the repo".

> That's actually not tenable. If we ever find something in our repo
> that we don't have full rights to, especially if it's something that
> would put roadblocks in front of people who'd like to make a
> proprietary fork, we have to be able to expunge it, not merely paper
> it over.

What, and re-do every commit after the one that added such material?
And somehow find every tarball that was shipped with the material, and
make them go away? Please don't bring straw-man arguments.

>> Except for like Andres says, always check *everything* before
>> pushing. I know I always push with -n and then do a git show on that
>> resulting set of commits just to make sure it's the one I want. It
>> doesn't take a lot of extra time after each commit, and it easily
>> finds things like this.

> Do we see a point in the future where all pushes to that repo require
> a reviewer separate from the author? The cost in hassle and
> aggravation is, to put it mildly, non-trivial, but it makes these
> kinds of mistakes a lot harder to make.

No amount of review will prevent human error at the point of the final
push. Yeah, Bruce was probably unreasonably sloppy about this particular
commit, but to imagine that we can get the error rate to exactly zero
is hopeless. That's what "git revert" is for.