Re: plperl & sort

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff <threshar(at)threshar(dot)is-a-geek(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plperl & sort
Date: 2008-11-04 18:41:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Jeff <threshar(at)threshar(dot)is-a-geek(dot)com> writes:
> I've ran into this interesting problem.
> It seems that while you can call sort() in a trusted plperl func you
> cannot access $a & $b which effectively makes it useless.

> I've tested this on 8.2.11, 8.3.5, and the nov 4 snapshot on ftp.postgresql.org
> In all cases its on a mac with perl 5.8.8.

I can confirm this behavior with perl 5.10 on Fedora 9. I suppose the
Safe module is somehow blocking the variable accesses, but if so why
doesn't it throw an outright error? Is this a Safe bug, or are we
failing to enable something we should, or perhaps it's actually
necessary to block this for security reasons?? Requires more perl-fu
than I have, unfortunately.