Re: Question about "name" datatype

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question about "name" datatype
Date: 2006-05-26 23:23:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> And indeed in pg_type the typalign column says "i" for this data type. My
> question is just, why? What would be the problem with an alignment of 1 for
> "name"?

Probably none, but that's how it's been defined since day one, and there
doesn't seem any good reason to change. (Looking at the system catalog
definitions, it doesn't appear that we'd save anything on alignment.)

It's possible that back when that decision was taken, there was
something in the bootstrap code that wouldn't work with non-int-aligned
columns? Just a guess.