Re: Problems building from source

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Bidski <bidski(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems building from source
Date: 2010-07-01 05:34:03
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 00:30, Bidski <bidski(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au> wrote:
>> configure: error: zlib version is too old
>> Use --without-zlib to disable zlib support.
>>
>> How can the latest version be too old??

> More likely, it's not finding the right one. Probably it's picking up
> some completely different version of it because it's earlier in the
> search path.

Look at the configure.in source code:

if test "$with_zlib" = yes; then
# Check that <zlib.h> defines z_streamp (versions before about 1.0.4
# did not). While we could work around the lack of z_streamp, it
# seems unwise to encourage people to use such old zlib versions...
AC_CHECK_TYPE(z_streamp, [], [AC_MSG_ERROR([zlib version is too old
Use --without-zlib to disable zlib support.])],
[#include <zlib.h>])
fi

There is approximately 0.000% chance that typedef z_streamp is not
present in any version of zlib.h available in the wild today.
I interpret this message as "the build toolchain is broken enough to
make AC_CHECK_TYPE fail". Haven't dug in to see what the most likely
true cause is, but we can dismiss zlib version compatibility out of
hand, I think.