Re: Testing lo_unlink() in psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Michael Goldner" <MGoldner(at)agmednet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Testing lo_unlink() in psql
Date: 2007-10-03 16:25:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Michael Goldner" <MGoldner(at)agmednet(dot)com> writes:
> I've run "VACUUM ANALYZE" on the table after the delete and have the
> same behavior. Do I need to run a "VACUUM FULL" to get the space back
> after an lo_unlink()?

Vacuuming the table isn't gonna help much, because all that reclaims
is your table row, not the space occupied by the large object. Large
objects live in pg_largeobject, and you need to be vacuuming *that*
on a regular basis if you do much deleting or updating of large objects.

> Also, is there any way to determine the actual filename that the OID
> references?

You appear to be seriously confused about how large objects are
stored. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/largeobjects.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/catalog-pg-largeobject.html