Re: Database in recovery mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Michael Richards" <michael(at)fastmail(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database in recovery mode
Date: 2000-08-06 22:30:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Michael Richards" <michael(at)fastmail(dot)ca> writes:
> If I start up postgres and run the query that caused it to crash
> before, it will crash again iff it is the first query I run.

> Even the slightest change in that query seems to stop it from
> crashing. The original query was and should have returned:
> equipment=> SELECT
> year,manufacturer,model,stocknumber,quantity,realprice,province,countr
> y,id,pricecurrency FROM ad_trucks AS AD WHERE active='t' AND cat1=9
> AND cat2=4576 AND UPPER(manufacturer) LIKE '%KENWORTH%' AND year
> BETWEEN 1997 AND 2000;

This sounds suspiciously like you've found another way to produce an
occurrence of the LIKE-input-is-smack-against-the-end-of-memory bug
that someone else reported a month ago. The fix for this is in CVS
already (I mailed it under separate cover).

Now I'd have thought that problem was so unlikely as to never be seen in
practice --- so although this one particular crash might be explained
that way, you should probably keep alert for the possibility that there
are more problems biting you than just this one.