Re: semtimedop instead of setitimer/semop/setitimer

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: semtimedop instead of setitimer/semop/setitimer
Date: 2003-09-20 17:33:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com> writes:
> ... Initially I tried to increase MAX_ALIGNOF to 16, but
> the result didn't work:

You would need to do a full recompile and initdb to alter MAX_ALIGNOF.
However, if you are wanting to raise it past about 8, that's probably
not the way to go anyway; it would create padding wastage in too many
places. It would make more sense to allocate the buffers using a
variant ShmemAlloc that could be told to align this particular object
on an N-byte boundary. Then it costs you no more than N bytes in the
one place.

(BTW, I wonder whether there would be any win in allocating the buffers
on a 4K or 8K page boundary... do any kernels use virtual memory mapping
tricks to replace data copying in such cases?)